One of my go-to summer accessories has been a faux flower embellished hair tie I got at Forever21. I wear it as a bracelet and it doubles as a hair tie that saves my day when it’s too hot for hair in the face. It’s been utilized so much that it is becoming threadbare, so I decided to make another out of some faux flowers I had lying around from another DIY hair accessory project. I love the new one I made, and it was super easy and fast, so I thought I would share my method.
Wanna make one?
1 elastic hair tie
5-7 faux flower buds (depending on the size)
Fabric glue (I used Sobo)
Fabric scissors (or a sharp enough pair)
Small sheet of felt
1. If your faux flowers are attached to any stems, pop the buds off and cut any excess longer than 1/8″ from the back. If you cut too short, the flower may fall apart, so leave a little room.
2. Repeat this process with 5-7 buds, enough to cover the perimeter of the hair tie on one side.
3. Cut enough strips of the felt no wider than 1/4″ for each of the buds. Make sure they are long enough to attach to the back of the flowers while laying loosely on top of the hair tie.
4. Place the buds upside down in a circle the size of the hair tie, and lay the tie on top.
5. Squeeze a hearty drop of fabric glue on both ends of each of the fabric strips on one side only. Be sure not to glue the middle area, as this is where the elastic will be. Place each strip glue side down onto each bud, making sure you line the strip up with a leaf so it has a solid surface to adhere to.
6. Pinch the petals to the glued areas periodically to ensure they stay put, and let dry for an hour.
You’re done! Enjoy your new arm accessory / hair tie / bun holder!
Mexican Wedding Dress – Glam York08/12/2014 at 9:32 am
[…] Sunglasses: Wildfox. Shoes: Loeffler Randall (carbon copy here for $15!). Bracelets: Overstock, DIY. Nails: Essie Really Red (hands), Essie Roarrrange (feet). Lip: Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet […]
Boys Club Sweater – Glam York08/05/2014 at 10:27 pm
[…] Nasty Gal. Shorts: Rag & Bone. Sunglasses: Nasty Gal. Bracelets: Chanel, DIY. Shoes: Nike (similar here). Nails: Color Club Age of Aquarius (hands), Essie Roarrrange (feet). […]
Toni V. Brown07/30/2014 at 12:12 pm
So creative and cute!
You must log in to post a comment.